The Triplo D project aims to increase democratic involvement and political participation by citizens, working on the links between democracy, demography, and human rights. It develops education/training sessions and school and community discussion groups, seeking to educate and strengthen an active and participatory citizenship of Caritas Coimbra’s employees, children and adolescents (from pre-school education to secondary education), adults in vulnerable situations and older adults (65+), parents and educators and education community. The project takes citizenship and active participation issues to different audiences, communities, and contexts, turning participants into agents of change and social activation. The discussion and exchange of experiences within the communities has been promoted by bringing these transversal themes to discussion. It is a project of proximity, which was built by the people and for the people. The project is based on 4 essential components, which have been building on growing knowledge and participation: empowerment, awareness, activation, and communication.
- Strengthen Civil Society by increasing knowledge about democratic institutions, civic participation and raising awareness of social commitment.
- Train and raise the target groups’ awareness about democratic institutions, civic participation and social commitment, in order to promote the exercise of citizenship and democracy;
- Increase self-efficacy for participation, involvement and decision making in groups and practices related to Human Rights, Democracy and Demographic variables;
- Enhance the training and empowerment of target groups in understanding, formulating and participating in public policies.
- Disseminate the themes of Triplo D, by encouraging partner networks and structured communication for each target group.
- Promote the implementation of these actions and sharing of the good practices in other contexts (through the website, toolkit, and support document).
The project will be based on 4 components, which will develop in a growing knowledge and participation:
A – Empowerment:
- Training courses in democratic literacy and community activation to train and empower Caritas Coimbra’s collaborators.
B – Awareness:
- Sessions of literacy and activating democracy with the aim of promoting personal skills that facilitate positive development and contexts that promote democratic participation and active citizenship. This is a journey that begins in the kindergarten and culminates in older adults (+65), covering different socioeconomic and cultural contexts, age groups and relationship structures.
- Enhance the dissemination of age-friendly environments, through a program of cultural events and publicity campaigns with extensive direct public participation of the target groups, which thus internalize and appropriate the theme in a more intense and deep way.
- This methodology aims to transform all participants into vehicles for raising awareness among their personal circles, multiplying the recipients of actions, and facilitating the penetration of awareness in different social spheres.
C – Activation:
- In this component, the perspective is to place the target groups as engines and protagonists of the activation process, namely through the initiatives: “Young People’s Parliament Programme” and “(Inter) generational citizens”.
- Hold public discussion sessions on current topics under debate in Portuguese and European politics.
- Create local working groups, where young people, adults and the older adults discuss problems collectively.
- Co-elaboration of joint positions sent to policy makers.
D – Communication:
- Maximize the use of the institutional network of partners and the close relationship between Caritas Coimbra and the media, local, regional, and national authorities to create a community network for dissemination and participation.
- This last component appears as a transversal action to the promotion and strengthening in the democratic scope, so that it is consistent and effective, encompassing the dissemination of the project in its various aspects and a monitoring and evaluation activity that allows reflecting on results and lessons learned: “Democracy communicates”.
MAIN TASKS OF CDC IN THE PROJECT
Caritas Coimbra is the project promoter and therefore must carry out all activities included in the 4 components.
Project Name: Projeto Triplo D
Project Acronym: Triplo D
Start date: 01/07/2019
End date: 30/06/2022
Total Budget: 116 724,92€
Name of the coordinator/promotor: Cáritas Diocesana de Coimbra
- European Centre for Women and Technology (ECWT)
- Instituto Europeu de Ciências da Cultura Padre Manuel Antunes (IECCPMA)
- Agrupamento de Escolas da Lousã (AEL)
The Active Citizens Fund in Portugal, managed by the consortium between the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and the Bissaya Barreto Foundation, finances the Triplo D project, with the Large Project Financing Contract n. º 225734. The main goal of the Programme is the strengthening of civil society and active citizenship and the training of vulnerable groups in Portugal. Thus, it intends to contribute to the general objectives of the EEA Grants Portugal and to the pursuit of sustainable development and good governance.